Sunday 29 May 2016

Oshone, Amari, Kwaku, Na'Zyia, Ife

Hello Great Children,

When I was young, I recall my elementary school teacher bringing me to tears in the classroom because I was unable to perform the steps necessary in a long division calculation.  I have always wanted to share this story with You, Oshone, Amari, Kwaku, Na'Zyia and Ife. 

You see, it was not that I could not learn and therefore understand mathematics.  When Mrs. Smith brought me to the chalk board in front of the whole entire class, I felt nervous and a little embarrassed.  On top of that, I did not know, at the time she asked how to 'do' long division.  I felt really ashamed.

As time went on, I had never forgotten about this experience.  Then, in my later years in school, I remember thinking to myself; "I can do this!"  This was the moment everything changed for me, and here is the moral of the story.

I said to myself that the only reason that the 'smart people' are given the title "she or he is just so smart" was not because they were smart.  It was because they had confidence, and they practiced - or studied the right subject material.  So, I began to tell myself that I can do anything.  I began to read my text books outside the class room.  I began to study.  This is precisely when everything changed, in terms of my grades in school. 

So, I tell you; pay careful attention in class.  Anticipate what Your teacher will say next, and in order to do this, You have to read Your text books and notes the day before.  Not just because You may have a quiz or a test.  It is in order to receive top notch grades.  The most important lesson I am giving You is that school is so very important.  It is also easy, as well.  As long as You are prepared.  As long as You practice.  As long as you care. 

If I were near, I would tell You how to care for Your school work at such a critical time in Your lives.  I could help You achieve outstanding marks and grades.

This hurts.

I Love You Oshone.
I Love You 'Mari.
I Love You Kwaku.
I Love You Na'Zyia.
I Love You Ife.

Love,

Daddy

No comments:

Post a Comment